Search This Blog

Friday, March 11, 2011

The Hotel at the Corner of Bitter & Sweet

I love to read and was convinced to join a book club last year.  Needless to say it didn't last long since the club consisted of more than 50% retired teachers and their choices tended to be the same themes.  Doom and gloom, if I read any more of that I would have put my head in an oven.

At the last meeting we pull names from a hat and buy a gift book for that person.  I was scared to see what I would be given.  When I first received the book The Hotel at the Corner of Bitter & Sweet, by Jamie Ford, I was thinking I am never going to read this.  It is a book about internment camps.  More doom, or so I thought.

The book takes place in two time periods in a Chinese American's life.  In the 1940's the main character at the age of 12 falls in love when a Japanese American girl.  It later tells of all they go through to stay together despite their age.  The other time period is 1984, shortly after the same character's wife passes away.  During this time he has become obsessed with finding a record from the 1940's that has a special meaning and where that adventure leads.

I know sounds like something you would read if you wanted to be miserable, but this book is uplifting and sweet.  I could not believe the beautiful message it conveys.  It is a quick read and definitely worth your time.

1 comment: