Search This Blog

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Hooked

When I go on vacation I am a voracious reader.  I will admit I like to read fluff most of time during vacation though.  I guess it is a kind of way of unwinding.

On my latest trip I searched the house for a paperback I had not yet read.  Unfortunately to my dismay most of my books were hardcover.  I don't know why but I hate to travel with them.  I finally found the one right before the bags were finished being packed, Hooked, by Jane May.


Hooked has a bright cheerful cover, with a happy little fish.  I figured what's not fluffy about that?
Jane May took the classic story of the Fisherman's Wife and wrote it with a modern twist.  Clarence "Woody" Woods, the main character, loves his job, boats and the water in general.  What he doesn't have is someone to love.  Woody is a character I fell instantly in love with myself.  He is sweet, shy and a little bumbling at times, but a genuinely well-rounded protagonist.  

On a fateful day he meets and is instantly smitten by Madalina a waitress at the yacht club he works for.  The story unfolds showing how he wins her with the help of a talking fish.  All along the way I was hoping Woody would get what he wanted.  However, I am not sure what he wanted was what I wanted for him.

I read this book in two and a half days.  It is a super quick read, and will make you smile and think about life in a fanciful way.  

No comments:

Post a Comment