Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

American Gods

I have read Neil Gaiman books many times and even waited in line to meet him.  Gaiman is a wonderful person to meet.  He took a couple of minutes with each person whose books he was signing.  Not the normal two seconds.


I some how never read any of his early books.  So on my latest trip to the bookstore I picked up American Gods.

American Gods follows a recently released convict Shadow while he tries to become a member of society again.  He is almost immediately hired by a con man, who may be more than he appears.  Throughout the book there are short stories of Gods from all religions and cultures.   You come to find out that Shadow is torn between three worlds; his own, the Ancient Gods and the New Gods.

This story is great but may take some time to get through.  Whenever there seems to be movement in Shadow's story, all of a sudden there is a story of a God.  These stories are important to the main plot but they seem to interrupt the flow.  All of it comes together in the end.

I enjoyed this books so much that I am now reading his follow up book Anasi Boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment